Monday, February 6, 2012

World Spay Day 2012

Since rabbits are such prolific breeders, it is fantastic to see bunnies included in the World Spay Day campaign for 2012 in the logo and with the poster below.  I get an email every week begging for help to find homes for unwanted litters.  The reasons are many: "I didn't know rabbits could be fixed" or "I had the male neutered and I thought the female wouldn't get pregnant" (males still have viable sperm for up to 6 to 8 weeks after neuthering). The most common reason I hear is an error in identifying gender: "the person (or pet shop) who sold me the rabbits told me they were two males (or two female rabbits)."  Male rabbits can be neutered between 3 and 5 months old and female rabbits are old enough to be spayed between 4 and 6 months when they hit reproductive age.  The gestation period is 31 days and the females can conceive the same day they give birth. Rabbits multiply fast. Neutering or spaying is 100% effective, permanent and no more worries about their raging "hare"mones.  (Photo credit: World Spay Day)