Friday, August 19, 2011

Rabbit Abandoned Complete with Hutch

A rabbit was abandoned complete with hutch (in Havant, UK) outside a country park’s gates.Yvonne Philbrow, the cleaner at the park, was shocked as she arrived for work and saw the hutch.
She, said: ‘I pulled it open and there was a rabbit inside. I was appalled. I don’t know how long it had been there – anything could have happened.’ She named the rabbit Billy and adopted him. Yvonne is pictured here with her grandchildren and Billy, the adorable lop bunny.  
The local newspapers in the UK seem to publish a good share of articles like this and I don't think it's just because it's a slow news day.  People who show kindness toward animals deserve the press.  On the one hand I am sad to read about the inhumane treatment of animals, but glad for the stories about people who show compassion for them.   (Photo credit: Allan Hutchings)