Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Rabbits & the Law

This should be a fascinating hour for rabbit advocates - a Rabbit Law Discussion. I found this post this morning and I wished I lived in New York City so I could go: Thurs. April 28, NYC Bar Association Rabbit Law Discussion, 6:30-7:30 p.m. "The Year of the Rabbit: Why Laws Make Rabbits the Unluckiest of Popular Pets." 2011 is the Year of the Rabbit under the Chinese zodiac calendar. But, unlike with other pets, the owner of a rabbit may lawfully kill their pet for fur, food or keychains. Speakers will discuss what makes rabbits special and the laws that allow for their abuse. Cost: free. To register, please visit nycbar.org. Location: New York City Bar Association, 42. W. 44th St., Midtown Manhattan. If anyone plans on attending, please see if you can tape. I will try to order a transcript afterwards. Rabbits have no protections and are not covered by the Humane Slaughter Act (not that they should be slaughtered in the first place.) Big Thump. Painting by Lorraine Bushek "Snuggled In." I love this artist's work!