Sunday, September 19, 2010

Paris Buys & Saves 20 Rabbits

Despite any other problems Paris Hilton may have in her life, she has saved 20 bunnies who were going to become meals for snakes. Several media outlets report she stepped in when she learned the fate of rabbits in a pet store she visited. (Which pet store is that?) One article reported she wrote on her Twitter page, , "Feeding My Bunnies a Late Night Snack . . . "The bunnies were meant to be feeders. I saw them at the pet store and they told me they were for snake food and I had to save them . . . I rescued 20 of them. They are now happy living in my backyard. They are all so happy, so nice to have changed their fate." I think this is great she rescued them. Unfortunately, there will be rabbits to replace them. The attitudes of some uninformed reptile pet store owners and reptile pet owners has to change before this is no longer practiced.
There are several articles on the web from reputable herpetologists who do not recommend feeding live animals to reptiles. An issue of Herp Gazette includes an article about why this practice isn't a good idea for the reptile and so does this article. We all know why it isn't good for the rabbits or rodents.